I have recently bought a Transcend Wi-Fi SD card to be able to wirelessly shoot and transfer photos to Adobe Lightroom. No software came with the card except for the web application where you can browse each photo taken and download it separately.
After several research made over couple of days I found out that there is a Google Chrome Extension that can batch download the photos from the SD card. However, this is still not what I wanted. The whole idea of working alone is to capture, transfer and develop instantly and without any interaction on the computer.
The Eye-Fi solution on the other hand is easier to handle as it has an advanced Mac application that you can use to instruct the card where to put the transferred photos on the hard disk. once done, you can make use of Adobe Lightroom auto import feature to watch that specific folder and auto import from it. The Transcend solution does not have that option.
After several days of surfing the net, I came across the following solution which in my opinion is better even that the Eye-Fi one. I found out that there is a Lightroom plugin for "shoot and import" on Adobe website. What follows are the instructions to install and make it work.
- Go to https://creative.adobe.com/addons/patches/3338?display=whereToFindExpanded
- Download the plugin and install it. Fig.1. If not installed properly, just search in your finder for "TransWfifSd.lrplugin", expand it and go to Lightroom plugin manager and add it manually. Fig.2.
- Now connect to your Transcend Wi-Fi using your computer. Default password is 12345678.
- Go to Lightroom. Select "Shoot And Import" from the Menu: Library > Plug-in Extra > Import from Transcend Wi-Fi SD > Shoot And Import. Fig.3.
- The plugin shows a settings dialog. Specify the IP address (192.168.11.254) or hostname (WIFISD) of the Wi-Fi SD card.
- Specify the target folder for the imported photos / videos and press OK.
- If a green caption is showing "Ready" go ahead and shoot and enjoy.
After photos are downloaded they are imported into the active Lightroom catalog. It is possible to add keywords and apply develop presets during import.
The plugin does not require any additional software. It is only required that the computer can reach the Wi-Fi SD card over the network. It doesn't matter if the card is running in Direct Share Mode or Internet Mode as long as the card is reachable.